Sunday, January 19, 2014

January 15, Red Scare Part I

I could not call it paranoia because for many living during this time it was a real fear.  The Red Scare of the 1920s is but a footnote in American history often overshadowed by the second Red Scare of the 1950s.  The Russian Civil War that encompassed Russia from 1918-1920 had far reaching consequences that traveled from the cold forested areas of rural Russia to the bustling towns of America.  I don't understand how Communism ever became a threat to the people and government of America.  Than again I'm still starching my head over how Prohibition passed at a federal level.
It just proves that people are scared of change and change was happening in post-war America.  The price increase that consumed much of the market was staggering for the many living on the pittance of a paycheck.  Though I still chuckle when I read about complaining that milk was 50 cent a gallon instead of the usual 25 cent.  I see that happening now though, where food, gas, and general living arrangements have gone up.  At my mindless minimum wage job I see people who have worked with the company for 10 years or more and all there paycheck has to show for it is $9.00 and hour.  Illinois minimum wage is, by the way, $8.25.  I can understand why people would form unions, without them we would surely become enslaved by the corporate greed and the executive's need for a fat paycheck.
How Bolshevism came into play during the 1920s and how it affected people's prejudices was interesting to learn about.

1 comment:

  1. So people are fearful of change - but why? I want you to explore this topic more in this posting.

    ReplyDelete